Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Curtains...

I was actually able toi finish Katy's curtains yesterday and I also whipped out Josh's curtain in no time (it was just one straight stitch across the top to make a pocket for the curtain rod).

This is Katy's curtain. This cost me 75 cents for the material and it was just enough to make a cute ruffle on the top. Very easy to make--I just hemmed the top about 2 1/2 inches, then, used the rod I was going to hang it with to measure how big the pocket needed to be...and straight stitched across that...Of course, I hemmed the sides and the bottom.

This is Josh's curtain...the one on the right is a panel I bought at Walmart for $4.50-a sheer curtain that was too sheer for him to have by itself...so I was on the look out for a darker curtain he could hang over the sheer and use for privacy (atleast until we get some mini blinds a friend has for us). The curtain on the left is the one I made from a clearanced black linen table cloth (this was one of the $2 ones I found at Garden Ridge). All I did was straight stitch about a 1 inch hem across the long end (to make it long enough for the window) and hung it on the curtain rod (honestly-it took me more time to hang the curtain than it did to make it-lol). It doesn't look like a darker curtain in this picture, but I assure you, it is. One great thing we found when we hung it was when the sunlight shines through, there are red highlights in the material...his room has a red curtain and his comforter on his bed is red on one side and black on the other...pretty neat!
So, all together, these two curtains probably cost me under $5 to make :) Nice since it can cost more than that to buy one nice sheer panel from the store!! Not only that, but Josh will not need mini blinds which saves me even more!! Very Nice!!

2 comments:

Traci @ The Bakery said...

CUTE!!! I just found some at the thrift store for $2.00!!! I don't think they were even used!

OkieDebbie said...

That is an awesome find! I rarely find great deals at the thrift store like you find...I need to go shopping with you! LOL!