Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Cake Balls

I made Cake Balls for the Super Bowl on Sunday. I used this recipe: Cake Balls

I made a dark chocolate fudge cake (using cake mix-I think it was Duncan Hines) and I used Pilsbury's Chocolate Fudge frosting. To dip the balls, I used almond bark from Aldi. This was a really easy recipe and made a ton of balls! The almond bark melted nicely in the microwave and I used pretty much all of the blocks-I have one left over. The recipe calls for one whole can of frosting, but I tell you, I read through the reviews on this recipe and decided to try just a half of a can. I pretty much eye-balled it and when the cake/frosting mixture got to where I could easily mold the mixture into balls, I stopped adding frosting. Then, I put the mixture into the fridge for not quite an hour (I was not being patient-lol). After the mixture was cooled sufficiently, I started making my balls, placing them onto wax paper which was on a cookie sheet. I also took a tip to put toothpicks into the balls. Then, after they were all balled out and toothpicked, I placed the cookie sheet into the freezer for about an hour (again, not being too patient-lol). I melted the almond bark when I was ready to dip and started dipping-not tips here...just get in there and do it. I did find that using s spoon to pour the almond bark over the balls worked nicely though.
I placed these back in the freezer to harden the bark quickly and then I took them off the cookie sheet, placed them into a container, covered them and placed them in the fridge until half time :) My family loved these! They could not get enough...there were even enough left over the next day for the kids to have one at lunch and for us to have a treat that evening!

You can make these balls using a multitude of different combinations! I have seen red devil's food and cream cheese frosting dipped in white. How about strawberry cake with maybe strawberry or vanilla frosting with chocolate almond bark or candy melts. You can even tint your almond bark if you wish :) My combo almost tasted like an Oreo cookie :) Next time I think I would like to add a tad bit of almond extract to the cake before it bakes to up the flavor of the chocolate a bit.

I never thought to take a pic before these got devoured...But, I can assure you, I will be making these again and I will take a pic. My 2nd oldest dd wants these for her birthday, and I think she wants the strawberry mixture. I think there might be a chance I will make these for my b-day this month ( I will be 29 again-how about that?!) and try a chocolate mint mixture of some sort since I love chocolate with mint!!

By the way, I have to thank my friend for turning us on to these :) She saw them on Pioneer Woman and on Bakerella-both of which you can find in my blog lists to the right.

2 comments:

Traci @ The Bakery said...

I thought they looked to time consuming to make...ba haaaaa. I like quick and easy....like lemon squares. YOU'VE GOT TO TAKE PICTURES....I think there is a cardinal rule for posting....one MUST HAVE A PICTURE....ba haaa. Have a great weekend.

OkieDebbie said...

Oh, they are not really too time consuming, I don't think...to me, they were worth it and I am making more for Valentine's Day :) I have some red candy melts I found 'clearanced' out at Food Pyramid yesterday for 50 cents that I plan to melt and drizzle over the white almond bark :) I will post pics this time. My batteries are charging so I can post pics of my notebook later too :)