Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Huge Turkey Blessing

I have seen other bloggers talk about buying turkeys after the Holidays for really cheap. I have looked around, but never found such great deals. Then, the other day, my friend called me to let me know she found turkeys marked at $5 each and asked if I wanted one :) YAY! I was thrilled-almost high-over the excitement of having a turkey for such a great price! She grabbed me a large one and I got it from her later that day. This turkey has got to be over 20 lbs! It is a monster-heavy and plump!! It is thawing in my fridge-has been since we brought it home, and I plan to brine it later on this week for dinner this weekend (hopefully it will be thawed and hopefully it will fit in my small oven-lol). After we have it for dinner, and then leftovers the next day, probably, I will take all the meat off, probably break it up and stick the carcass in my crockpot with some water to cook all day and make a nice broth...then, package up the rest of the meat for the freezer! SO glad I have that Ziploc system now!

Our turkey from Thanksgiving was a tad over 15lbs and the leftover meat from that has lasted us awhile by using it for soups, chilis, and other add ins for dishes that I would use shredded or cubed chicken. I imagine the turkey from my big guy now will last me through to late Spring or Summer-lol! If i had a freezer, separate from the one on my fridge, I would have tried to get another turkey to save for Thanksgiving, but Im thrilled with just this one and can't wait to stock my freezer with lots of turkey :)

No comments: