Thursday, January 29, 2009

Banana Muffins

Mmm--mmmm! These were good! I have to say I was surprised. I will post the recipe I used from AllRecipes.com below but I want to review these. I doubled the recipe, so all my reviews and recipe variations will be for my doubled version (the recipe below is not be doubled though)..
I used half margerine and half applesauce (unsweetened). I added in cinnamon (not sure of amounts-just sprinkled, but if I had to guess, I would say a good 2 teaspoons). I also added in about 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla. With the flour, I used about 1 1/2 cups of wheat flour. In the one cup that I had 1/2 cup wheat in, I added about 2-3 TBS of Milled Flax seed and filled the rest of that 1 cup measuring cup with all-purpose (this was my final cup of flour I needed to add to the recipe). Other than those additions, I did this recipe as called for (only doubled, don't forget that-lol)
These were SO good out of the oven! The started to get overbaked on the outside (my oven runs hot) and I was afraid would be dry, but they were not! Usually, with fruit type breads, I find them much better after a good cool down, the next day, or after they have been frozen and thawed. But, these had a ton of good banana flavor! The wheat gave it some heartiness...You could easily add raisins and nuts to this recipe, but my kids do not like that all that much, so I left them out...of course, I just remembered I have a huge bag of Craisins I could have added in too...will try that next time even if with just a few :)

Banana Muffins II
SUBMITTED BY: ABI_GODFREY  PHOTO BY: Allrecipes 
"These delicious banana muffins are easy for kids to make."
PREP TIME  10 Min
COOK TIME  25 Min
READY IN  35 Min
Original recipe yield 12 muffins, or 48 mini muffins


INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup butter, melted

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat muffin pans with non-stick spray, or use paper liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

Combine bananas, sugar, egg, and melted butter in a large bowl. Fold in flour mixture, and mix until smooth. Scoop into muffin pans.

Bake in preheated oven. Bake mini muffins for 10 to 15 minutes, and large muffins for 25 to 30 minutes. Muffins will spring back when lightly tapped.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Stacey?? said...

These sound soo good Debbie! Love your Pooh mug. :)

OkieDebbie said...

I love my mug! Eric got it for me for Christmas--he tries every year to get me something with Winnie the Pooh on it :) I think this has been my favorite, though...the colors are just so pretty-I want my kitchen painted that color-lol!