Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Frugal Tip-Stretch That Chicken to the Limits!

Use every bit of a whole chicken that you can-if you roast it, after you are done picking it clean, place the bones in some water and simmer for a while. Not only will it make a nice broth, but will get those last bits of chicken off the bones that you might have missed. Strain the broth (don't worry if it gels up when it is cool, that is a sign of a nice broth from what I understand :) and put in a freezer bag, or pour into ice cube trays until frozen, then place in baggies :)

I did that last week-cooked a chicken in the crockpot with some water (just about half way up the side of the pot) until done. Stained the broth and placed it in the freezer for a meal this week (chicken chili). I then picked all the meat that I could off the bird (this was actually the next day after it had cooled in the fridge overnight). Then, I placed the bones in more water and simmeredd for a bit, making another nice broth, as well as getting that last lil bit of chicken off :) This was strained and put into a freezer bag for anotehr meal-probably a nice chicken tortilla soup next paycheck :)

I got about 2 good dinners from this bird-but, I had leftovers which made 3 lunches for the kids and two sandwiches one night for Eric after work. Then, with a good chunk of breast I saved and the broth I made chicken chili, which I still have leftovers for a couple lunches this week...So it stretched and more-lol!

No comments: