Monday, October 27, 2008

A Couple Christmas Ideas

Yesterday, I mentioned I would be teaching my older girls how to use the sewing machine. As I was running this through my head, and after I told them my idea, I got more ideas for gifts I could make. I have had these ideas before, but decided it was time to put them into action ;)

My kids all have certain shirts that became their faves and will not, under any circumstances, or threats by mom, pass them down to their siblings-lol! Laura loves monkies and horses, so any shirt with either of those creatures is not to even be considered as a pass along shirt to her little sister. Katy got a shirt from her grandma with dolphins on it when she was about 3. She never let me pass that shirt on...

Well, time for new life! I found instructions for different types of pillows to make with these shirts. Also, I could make quilts they would use to cover up with :) Though, I was considering that option for when they are older and move out-how cool would it be to have a quilt made from mom when you are off to college or a place of your own, and it holds such childhood memories ;)

I also found some adorable tote bag ideas! They could make some cute purses for the girls-or a neat library bag!

Here are some sites I found:
http://www.tangledthread.com/how-to-of-the-day-make-a-recycled-reversible-t-shirt-totebag-the-final-totebag-and-the-links/

http://www.instructables.com/id/T-shirt-tote-bag/

http://wildonionstudio.wordpress.com/2008/06/01/tee-bags-a-tutorial-to-recycle-a-tee-shirt-into-a-shopping-bag/



I also have another idea going through my head for Katy. Laura has had a nice recipe book for a long time. I actually use it to hold all my recipes-lol! Katy had a small one that we never expanded on. Since she has been doing Home Ec this year for school, I decided it was about time she had a nice recipe book of her own. I have pretty much all I need to get started except the binder, which I know I can get for a few bucks if I cannot find one around the house :) Make a pretty cover for it and add the recipes we use alot. She will love it, I know :)

No comments: