Monday, April 27, 2009

Some Great Drink Recipes

Family Fun put out a great newsletter this week with some fun, and I might add, healthy drink recipes-well, most of them are healthy ;) As I looked through some of the recipes that caught my eye, I noticed they were all pretty frugal. You can use frozen bananas you have on hand (you know, that stash you put up in your freezer when they started to get too ripe and the kids would not eat them because they thought the nanas were rotten?), add in some yogurt that you got on sale (or maybe is left in that big container you bought and none of the kids want-hmmm), or use up some fruit that is in your fridge getting close to expiring, but needs the bad parts cut off :)
Also, I know my kids love icy drinks when it is warm :) They actually love anything cold, but ice cream has gotten so expensive that we reserve that for a special treat. My kids favorite drink is Magic Milk Shakes. It is easy and really very good. We have even found we do not need to add as much sugar as called for and I usually have most ingredients on hand! We have taken out the cocoa and added in a bit more vanilla, less sugar, and made vanilla shakes. Banana added in is also a winner here :)

Here is a list of many other icy drinks :) I noticed my kids don't even notice it when I add ground flax seed to berry smoothies-making them much healthier and giving my kids the great benefits flax has in it-so you might try that too with these :
Family Fun: Ice Cold Drinks
Easy Kids Recipes: Easy cold Drinks
Family Fun: Ready To Whir Smoothies
Mexican Juice Drinks (this could be fun for a party!)

No comments: