Monday, April 6, 2009

Cream of Anything Soup

In one of my meatball recipes, I pour cream of mushroom soup over the meatballs in the crockpot. My hubby and I like the soup over pasta or rice. I realized I would not have enough with the one can I had to make 'gravy'. I remembered often seeing recipes for Cream of Anything soup and realized I actually had enough of the needed ingredients to try it out. I used Budget 101's recipe. To try it out, I made 1/4 of the recipe. This was hard-lol! When you are trying to divide a recipe, and kids keep coming in to ask you all sorts of things, you lose your concentration...not fun :P
My results, though, were wonderful!! It was really good! I was surprised! For some of the liquid called for, I opened a can of mushrooms and drained out some of the liquid into a measuring cup. I, then, added water for the rest of the liquid needed. I chopped some of the mushrooms from the can into small pieces (only because if my kids see mushrooms, they freak out-lol). Also, I kept out the bouillion called for. I added that in when I made the actual soup. I was not able to do the math on that part-lol!

After trying it out, and everyone loving it, I made the whole batch. I still left out the bouillion, so this way, I can use beef flavor, chicken flavor, etc when I need it. I added a note to my recipe and to the baggies in which I packaged the mix to add in the bouillion.

There are tons of recipes for make your own mixes, as well as some great frugal tips on Budget101.com. Here is a link to the recipes section Make Your Own Mixes and Convenience Foods
They also have Gluten Free Food Mixes

No comments: