Wednesday, April 1, 2009

How to Buy a Ham

I really do not know this. For years, I have been buying a spiral cut ham from Aldi's which suited us fine. But, I noticed I could not get as much out of it as my mom always seemed to with the hams she bought. So, I decided to do some research on the subject (don't ya love search engines?). I am also wanting to catch one of the deals on hams right now that are not spiral cut-I can cut it myself, just not in a spiral-lol! It all goes down the same way, right?
I found this site which offered the difference between butt and shank portion hams-as well as some other good info. Butt offers more meat than a shank, but you pay more per pound. Of course, if it is only a 10 cent per pound difference, I think you would probably be getting your money's worth :)

No comments: