Monday, March 2, 2009

Gardening

I guess Im getting Spring Fever...I can hardly sit still long enough without thinking of something else I want to organize, clean, or I start daydreaming about my garden :) I can't wait!! I need to figure out a good fence, that will not be too costly, to keep my dogs out of my garden (I do not want them planting their own things in there or thinking that nice red tomato is a ball they can pull off and play with!).

I plan to plant tomatoes, cucumbers, zuchinni, corn (two types because this is my first year planting corn and I want to see which I like the best :), some different herbs, and I have some watermelon seeds too. I hope to get the seeds started next week--like I said, that is my goal for next week :)

But, I have long wondered about growing potatoes-my kids actually wanted to do this. Then, using StumbleUpon.com (which is a great site for when you are bored online and want to get some new, interesting sites-check it out sometime) I came across this blog:
Backyard Farming
On one post, they explain how they grow potatoes in the trash can--what?! Cool! Hmmm--gonna have to try this out :) I will let you know if I do and how it works for me. I might even do two trash cans (we already have some extras from our move that we do not use for our trash service here)...I will have to make sure they are really, really clean...if not, I might buy one and experiment with this. If it doesn't work--I can always make it into a composting machine ;) You can find out more about that by clicking the first link above as they made one and posted about it just this weekend :)

Here are some other very good blogs about gardening :
In My Kitchen Garden
Home Gardening Tips
Gardening Tips

No comments: