Saturday, March 21, 2009

Freezer Stuffed Full!!!!

I really need a deep freezer...no room in my freezer over my fridge!!
I went shopping yesterday and stocked up on hamburger from Harps-more about this store later on...
After I made dinner last night, I went to work on the hamburger-I bought both regular 78% ground beef and ground chuck. I boiled up the reg. ground beef in water to make a bunch of pre-cooked hamburger. I package this up in serving sizes according to my family's needs and freeze it. One note here, make sure you are stocked up on baggies when you do this-lol! I was not--it is in the fridge and will be packaged up after I hit Walmart today :)
Then, I took the ground chuck, mixed it with some ground turkey from Aldi, added my favorite seasonings and made a ton of meatballs-half the recipe became porcupine meatballs with some rice I had stored in the freezer (waste not want not-this rice was a mishap-it did not get cooked all the way, but that makes it perfect for things like porcupine meatballs!). When making meatloaf or meatballs for the freezer, just use your favorite recipe--you really do not need to worry about finding one fit for the freezer--pretty much all of them work out just fine ;)
I baked those meatballs, let them cool, and bagged them up (I did have big baggies for these :) They are waiting in my freezer for meals later on this month and next. I had so many meatballs that I think I can get 3 good meals and a couple leftover out of them! Yea!
I think I spent about $12 on all the ground beef and ground turkey...Im not sure how much ground beef I have to put up, but I will estimate it to be a good 10 meals at the least.

2 comments:

TheRoosterChick said...

Sounds like you've got a gold mind in that freezer of yours.

OkieDebbie said...

Welll....at times I do-lol! I will stock up on homemade spaghetti/pasta sauce this paycheck, pre-cooked ground beef, and some other things. I need to start feeding my freezer soon is what I am saying :)