Thursday, July 31, 2008

Forced to be frugal...

I am being forced to be frugal-ok, no one has a gun to my head, but sometimes I feel as though there is-lol! No, really, I was thrilled when I went through my cupboards and drawers looking at what needed to be restocked and I saw that we had enough baggies from last shopping trip to where I did not need to buy more this time around! YAY! (yes, Im easily amused) It was a thrill though. I saved a couple dollars. Of course, at the store I usually buy milked marked down, they didn't have any, so I had to buy it for full price-but Walgreen's had it on sale and it was Hiland, so that was nice. I like to try to get hormone free as much as possible. So, how did we have enough baggies left over? I have been diligent in washing them out. Usually, they are used for lunches-especially DH's and I guess he has become very good at bringing them back home because we had alot! I wash them in soapy hot water and hang ot dry. I do not reuse them if they still feel icky after I wash them (some just feel sort of 'sticky' I guess-won't keep those but they could be used for cleaning doggy presents in the back yard I guess ;) Plus, I am helping the environment a bit by reusing. We have also been very diligent about putting leftovers into plastic containers instead of baggies-something I have been trying to drill the kids to do :) So, yes, even though it sometimes feel being frugal and trying to pinch a penny till it screams is going to drive me nuts, when I see results (even small ones) like that, it makes me happy. It lets me see my hard work is not in vane. And, it isn't just with baggies. We are using vinegar and baking soda to clean with. Vinegar is so inexpensive as is baking soda. I don't mind the smell of the vinegar and it dissipates quickly leaving a fresh, clean smell when dry.
Of course, I did spend money out of the norm this shopping trip...I have been stocking up on all those school items for sale! I have come home from Staples or Office Depot with a bag or two full of stuff for less than 30 cents! LOL! How cool is that?! Or, I take my ads to Walmart and comp ad things like notebooks, crayons, etc... Walmart here in our neck of the woods really stinks on their school supply prices this year and I am very disappointed. In years past, I could get crayons for 10 cents-not this year! No where even close to that. What is the deal? Are crayons made with crude oil? And the markers are not priced cheap enough compared to years past....huge disappointment when I told the kids no markers this year :(.
Well, life will go on and I am pretty well stocked for school...of course, that is if I can keep those pencil monsters at bay.
Now, I need to learn more about Walgreen's and saving money using their ads, rebates and coupons!

No comments: