Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Cleaning Tip Monday

Oh yes, I know it is not Monday, but I had to use this late last night when one of the kids broke a bottle of nail polish on the carpet :( I started with the last little bit of nail polish remover we had left, and sent Eric out to the store to buy more (it is so nice to live close to the stores!). While he was gone, I looked online for tips on cleaning nail polish out of carpet-thankfully this seems to be a common problem :) People were saying peanut butter (wouldn't that just be a whole other issue to clean up?), dry cleaning solution, nail polish remover (which I was trying and having some small success with) and other odds and ends things. Then, one person's post caught my eye-they used the same shaving cream gel my hubby used! I got the can (which was running very low) and tried it on a small section (btw, did I mention that it splattered pretty good-ugh!). It started working, and the shaving cream was not hard to clean up. So, here is the process I did. I squirted a very small amount of the Gillette Fusion Shaving Gel (remember, shaving cream-especially the gels-goes a long way) onto the polish (did I mention it was red?). I used my fingers to lightly spread it around the stain-not rubbing it in, just barely and lightly rubbing the surface of the carpet. Then, I dabbed/blotted the shaving cream with a wet rag-a bit more than damp and it was wet with cold water. I took another slightly damp rag and blotted/rubbed some more. Then, when I could see the polish was gone from that section, I took a dry rag and blotted some more to get any excess water out. I got about 99% of the stain out. I started to get tired, so I will get the rest out today. But, overnight, on the last teeny bit of stain, I sat some paper towels that were weighed down by a couple heavy books :) Anyway, try it if you ever have this happen.

No comments: