Saturday, September 27, 2008

Goal Setting

I have decided to start setting one goal each week to get some things done that I need to get done. I figure a week would let me do it little by little, not make me feel overwhelmed (which happens and I give up) and yet, I would still get things done.

My DH did this with the garage while he was on vacation. He did it little by little, going through boxes that we still had left over from the move. Some were boxes from his old pick up truck, some were boxes of tools, and some, well, some were my boxes of things Im just not sure to do with right now :) I will figure those out when I am able to get more storage ideas for inside the house---or.....

When I organize my linen closet :) That is my goal for next week. Two reasons-
1-it needs it!! Things are shoved up there, not only from the kids, but me too!!
2-this way I can see where the flannel sheets are that will go on everyone's bed soon :) The weather has been in the 80's this week, but I can see soon we will be ready for those snuggly, cuddly sheets!

This week, I took the time to clean up around my fireplace. I had thrown printer paper up there, just willy nilly--it is right by my desk at the moment, so it was nothing to do. I decided if I wanted to use that fireplace this winter, I better clean it up. So, along with straightening my desk and printer stand (which is part shelf, part filing cabinet), I got it done! It looks nice. I have a couple books that need to find a home in my room with the school books and three boxes to go out in the garage for recycling.

But, I realized when I was thinking about this post, you do not have to limit this to some chore around your house--you can make a goal for the week of reading a book you ahve been meaning to read for awhile now. Or, perhaps make it a goal to try a new dish two nights one week in order to shake up your menu. Or, and this is another thing I am doing when I am online, just once a day-go through all those emails you have been meaning to look at, or perhaps all those links in your Favorite Places and clean them up a bit. Right now, for me, it is my email box--ugh! At one time last week, I had over 500 emails! My DH asked why so many-he must think Im an online addict or something. Honestly, it is because I have begun to send myself a site I want to look over again, or use later on, then I forget about it, lose it, or it stays in my inbox patiently waiting for me to give it some attention :) I have decided to do that now and I have been able to knock my emails down by about 150 emails in the past couple of days. Now, Im down to about 250--still many to go but I will get there. I made folders to save what I wanted to look at-hopefully I will remember where they all are!!

A friend started me thinking about this-she is doing this with her family. Her goal ideas are much different from mine, but it is all the same concept. Make a goal for yourself-whether it is a month long goal, or a lifetime goal...write it down and do it. Her daughter had a goal with music. She wrote it down, stuck to her goal and within 2 weeks had mastered her goal and moved up to where she wanted in band class.  

Anyone can do this, and as I said, it can be as simple, or as detailed as you like. So, for me, to keep some direction for myself, I will take a pic of my linen closet tomorrow-totally untouched. When I am done at the end of the week, I will take another pic to show my results. This will help me feel like I need some accountance for myself ;) Oh, and the other good thing with cleaning my linen closet-I have a laundry basket and a rubbermaid tub that would be used for other things, but have linens in them...so this will be a two fold satisfaction or me!! YAY!!

2 comments:

Traci @ The Bakery said...

Was your goal to post the same post twice? I think I see two of the same posts....does that mean you have to clean the closet TWICE...ba haaaa.

I love goal setting. Have you tried the 15 minute timer? Set the timer for 15 minutes and then quit when it goes off. Either take a break or stop for the day.

It is AMAZING what you think is a 30 - 60 min or more job.....and it turns out to be just a little bitty 15 minutes. Also, I had a friend suggest to put the sheets INSIDE the pillowcase....OMG....I can't believe I never thought of that.

It keeps the whole set together and the kids don't use stray pillowcases.

I can't wait to see the picture!!!!

OkieDebbie said...

LOL! Well, Im really determined to make this goal thing stick, huh? Not sure how that happened...deleting the extra post ;) Thanks for letting me know!!